Extending Your Student Visa

A student visa that lets you study at the university of your choice is a terrific thing for you. But what happens if your studies take longer than you planned? On top of exams and term papers, you may have to worry about your student visa expiring. That’s where an immigration lawyer can be your best friend. Understanding how immigration laws work can be the first step to making sure that you keep your student visa in good standing. My blog is all about immigration issues, especially those faced by foreign students. Check out the articles for more information that you can use to complete your studies in the country you chose to study in.

Avoiding Delays And Rejections During A Marriage-Based Green Card Application


When you have fallen in love with someone in the United States, nothing should prevent you from being together once you decide to tie the knot. However, if you make mistakes during the green card application process, you may be delayed from becoming a U.S. citizen and receiving full benefits.

Make Sure the Marriage is Legal

If you are going to immigrate to the United States through marriage, you must make sure that you are legally married. You must not be married to someone else. If you were previously married, that might present an obstacle because you will need to present a divorce or death certificate. 

Your marriage must also be valid according to the rules of the country that you are immigrating from. For example, if you are in a country that does not allow blood-related marriages, but you have married someone whom you are related to by blood, your marriage might not be accepted as a justification for allowing you to immigrate to the United States. 

One challenge you might face is if your marriage certificate is not available. Usually, church documents and unofficial certificates are not accepted as evidence that you are married, but there are some circumstances where it's allowed.

Fill Out Forms Properly

Marriage-based green cards require that you fill out a lot of paperwork. If there are any forms that you missed, you may be required to pay a fee. You might even have your application delayed or rejected. For that reason, you'll want to make sure that the paperwork you're sending is sent to the right address and that you are sending the right paperwork with the right filing fees. 

Don't Delay

After you have gotten married, you should apply for your marriage-based green card as soon as possible.The more time that passes, the longer you will have to go without benefits that come from your green card. Also, your process of becoming naturalized will be slowed down. After you have filled out all of your forms, you will have to undergo a biometrics appointment and will have to undergo an interview. After you have been approved, you will have to wait a few weeks for your green card to arrive in the mail. 

If you are concerned about whether you have made the right decisions while obtaining a marriage-based green card, make sure to contact an immigration attorney. The last thing you want is for your green card application to be rejected and for your life to be disrupted when you are not allowed to be with the person you love. Contact a law firm, like Tesoroni & Leroy, for more help.


25 November 2018