Extending Your Student Visa

A student visa that lets you study at the university of your choice is a terrific thing for you. But what happens if your studies take longer than you planned? On top of exams and term papers, you may have to worry about your student visa expiring. That’s where an immigration lawyer can be your best friend. Understanding how immigration laws work can be the first step to making sure that you keep your student visa in good standing. My blog is all about immigration issues, especially those faced by foreign students. Check out the articles for more information that you can use to complete your studies in the country you chose to study in.

Being Denied Visitation? 4 Steps To Take When Your Ex Won't Let You See Your Kids

Law Blog

If your ex is refusing to follow the custody agreement you have in place, don't let aggravation and frustration cause you to do something you might regret later. You want to see your child, but it's important that you follow the law when attempting to enforce your rights. Here are some steps you should take to make sure you stay on the right side of the custody battle.

Continue Paying Child Support

If you're the non-custodial parent, and are required to pay child support, don't stop your payments. You might be tempted to withhold payments until you're able to see your child, Unfortunately, withholding child support payments will hurt your child, and will put you on the wrong side of the law. While you're fighting to see your child, be sure to continue paying your court-ordered child support payments, on time.

Document Your Missed Visits

When your ex refuses to allow you to see your child, you need to document each missed visit. Keep a detailed visitation journal documenting each time your ex cancels a visit, cuts a visit short, or refuses to speak to you about visitation. It's also important that you save any phone messages, text messages, or emails that your ex uses to cancel visitation appointments with. This documentation will help prove your case, should you have to go back to court.

Don't Badmouth Your Ex

If your ex is preventing visitation with your children, you may experience deep feelings of frustration or anger. It's important that you avoid declaring those feelings to others, especially through friends or social media pages. Speaking ill about your ex could backfire. In fact, if your ex hires an attorney, your derogatory comments could be used against you, especially if it appears that your comments could lead to parental alienation. Speaking of parental alienation; if you discover that your ex is speaking ill of you to your children, you should try to obtain as much evidence as possible. This could help should you need to go to court for your visitation rights.

Speak to Your Attorney

If your visitation rights are being interfered with, you're going to need legal help. Sit down and talk to a lawyer as soon as you can. Provide your attorney with as much evidence as you can gather, including any witnesses who have witnessed your attempts to see your children, or who have heard your ex speak ill of you – especially around your children. 


10 April 2017